Technology Innovation Hub
The Technology Innovation Hub (TIH) on Artiﬁcial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) for Interdisciplinary Cyber-Physical Systems (ICPS) (AI4ICPS) is being established under the aegis of the National Mission on ICPS (NM-ICPS) of the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Government of India. AI4ICPS aims to create a multidimensional ecosystem to foster innovations of AI and ML interventions to ICPS spanning across several sectors. This shall be enabled through translation of academic research resulting in pre-/prototypes of such AI and ML interventions at Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 3 to TRL7 ready scalable products and processes for industry sectors including but not limited to (i) healthcare, (ii) precision agriculture and nutritional security, (iii) manufacturing, (iv) transportation, (v) environment and pollution, (vi) infrastructure and energy, (vii) education, (viii) judiciary and legal, and (ix) communication. Innovation in interventions shall include but not be limited to (a) artiﬁcial intelligence including search, optimization, heuristics, logic, reasoning, formal methods, (b) machine learning including deep and reinforcement learning, bayesian learning, physics integrated learning, federated learning, edge computation for learning and inference, cloud-hybrid computing, (c) enabling technologies including fairness-accountability-transparency-explainability (FATE) of AI, certiﬁcation, security, certiﬁcation, safety and safety analytics, machine vision, speech, natural language processing (NLP), text analytics, augmented and virtual reality, technology for internet of things (IoT), etc.
1. Technology Development through development of products and prototypes from existing knowledge (TRL3), technology or product delivery in speciﬁc sectors (TRL2-3), expert driven research (TRL3). 2. Human Resources Development (HRD) and Skill Development (SD) through fellowships, project grants and program laboratory upgradation for undergraduate (UG), post graduate (PG), doctoral and post-doctoral candidates, early-career Research Assistant Professors and Chair Professors on ICPS, programs for up-/re-skilling of industry workforce across the height of the organizational pyramid. 3. Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Startup Ecosystem through grand challenges and competitions, promote and accelerate young technology entrepreneurs, entrepreneur in residence, seed and ignition funding support, technology business incubator, dedicated innovation accelerator. 4. International Collaborative Research Programs through support for Indian component of expenses for project staﬀ, workshops and meetings, travel support, etc.
1. Research and New Knowledge Generation through research in core and thematic areas, and translational research in AI and ML for ICPS which shall contribute to TRL3 ready technology development
2. Innovation, Technology Commercialization and Startups through its Industry - TIH - Academia co-working Product Engineering Group (PEG) which co-work at the Hub and shall contribute to TRL 4-6 translation.
3. National Knowledge Portal (NKP) on AI4ICPS for providing study materials as curated coursework and certiﬁcation material through online content delivery network (CDN) channels, datasets, APIs and standard code release, benchmarks and case studies, access to digital twin simulators of CPS for virtual environment experiments.
4. Live Testbeds on AI4ICPS which shall consist of cloud connected and IoT/ IoE enabled physical systems across the sectors of interest for live tryouts of cloud based AI and ML for plant control and plant operations.
5. Cloud for ICPS which is reactive and responsive in realtime to train and develop AI and ML algorithms for ICPS intervention and enable AI compute as a cloud based service.
6. Technology Certiﬁcation and Audit services for AI and ML intervention to ICPS, and their safety and veriﬁcation.
7. Incubation, Acceleration and Launchpad services for hand holding of new ventures, startups and spinoﬀs, as well as scout for innovation potential early on through student projects, challenges and competitions, etc. This shall also facilitate marketplace connection for new ventures and identify academic IPs with commercial potential.
8. Consultancy Services for technology scaling up and upgradation, and technology product auditing within the scope of the Hub.
9. Reskilling and Upskilling services through workshops, seminars, schools with sector speciﬁc focus on AI and ML intervention, as well as enabling direct to home delivery of contents through the KNP.
The organization of AI4ICPS shall be functioning under the leadership of a Chief Executive Oﬃcer (CEO) enabling the several activities through oﬃces of the Chief Innovation Oﬃcer (CIO), Chief Technology Oﬃcer (CTO) and the Chief Operating Oﬃcer (COO). The Oﬃce of CIO shall administer HRD and Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Startup Ecosystem activities. CTO shall administer Technology Development activities following a project based mode. COO shall administer ﬁnancial, legal, contracting, HR, secretarial activities for enabling Oﬃces of CEO, CIO and CTObe functional. The Hub Governing Body (HGB) which serves as the Board of Directors (BOD) of AI4ICPS registered as a Section 8 Company and set its overall direction in consultation with the Advisory Board (AB). An Executive Council (EC) shall oversee operation of AI4ICPS.
|S.No.||Target Area||Set Targets||Achieved Targets|
|1st Yr||2nd Yr||3rd Yr||4th Yr||5th Yr||Total||1st Yr||2nd Yr||3rd Yr||4th Yr||5th Yr||Total|
|1.1||No of Technologies (IP, Licensing, Patents etc)||0||0||7||10||15||32||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1.3||Publications, IPR and other Intellectual activities||5||15||20||25||25||90||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1.4||Increase in CPS Research Base||6||20||24||25||30||105||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.1||Technology Business Incubator (TBI)||1||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.2||Start-ups & Spin-off companies||12||12||12||12||12||60||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.3||GCC - Grand Challenges & Competitions||1||1||1||1||1||5||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.4||Promotion and Acceleration of Young and Aspiring technology entrepreneurs (PRAYAS)||2||2||2||2||2||10||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.5||CPS-Entrepreneur In Residence (EIR)||8||8||8||8||8||40||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.6||Dedicated Innovation Accelerator (DIAL)||1||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.7||CPS-Seed Support System (CPS- SSS)||2||2||2||2||2||10||0||0||0||0||0||0|
Human Resource Development
|3.2||Post Graduate Fellowships||10||12||12||14||14||62||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Total Set Targets||14609||Total Achieved Targets||0|