Technology Innovation Hub
In recent years technologies allow us to explore underwater in increasingly systematic, scientific, and noninvasive ways. The technologies used to explore underwater include submersibles, remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), satellites, rovers, diving/ scuba gear, buoys, mega corers, water column samplers and sonar for mapping. India has a coastline of nearly 7,516 km, where CPS integrated with underwater vehicles can play a major role in maritime security, surveillance, underwater tourism, exploration, ecosystem study, archaeological heritage exploration and restoration and the safety of global economic activities taking place in the Indian Ocean, etc. India’s prosperity, growth and economic development are intrinsically linked to the seas. In the next five years will take up many innovative projects and will help to indigenously develop products, high-quality manpower, incubation centers and start-ups integrated with Cyber-Physical Systems. It will be in the line of initiatives by the Government of India, such as Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), New Quality of Connectivity, Digital India, Make in India, Skill India & Stand-up India, Smart Cities, Industry 4.0 and Society 5.0.
A brief description of the activities to be conducted by TIH are mentioned below:
– This shall be done by the Basic Research Wing (BRW). The primary activity of this Hub shall be to conduct fundamental research on topics in the technology vertical of Technologies for Underwater Exploration, dealing with
(a) AI for Underwater Exploration
(b) Underwater sensing
(c) Algorithms for underwater missions
(d) Defense Technologies for Underwater Exploration
(e) Surveillance, Maintenance and Repair of Underwater Machine Components
(f) Underwater Health Research
– This shall be conducted by the Applied Research Wing (ARW). Another primary activity of this Hub is to conduct applied research (leading to product development) under the vertical of Technologies for Underwater Exploration. This wing shall apply conceptual theory as required for specific problems that are the mandate of the Hub. The development of underwater docking stations, ocean research vessels, underwater mining machines, manned and unmanned underwater vehicles, development of a variety of marine sensors, construction of underwater defense technologies, surveillance, maintenance and repair of underwater machine components, Underwater Health Research, amongst others, shall be the broad objectives of this wing. This wing shall be responsible for the Design, Testing and Manufacturing of the products.
- One of the essential activities of this Hub is to develop a Manufacturing Facility at its place, to engage in the production of material goods/products to be commercialized. The purpose of this facility is to develop indigenous products and to lower the cost of the product to be sold.
– This shall be done by the Advanced Research Wing (AdRW). A function of this Hub shall be to conduct research on advanced topics that require super-specialization in the technology vertical of Technologies for Underwater Exploration. The list of such topics include, but are not limited to – Ocean state forecast and weather prediction, Ocean Survey, Ocean Science Services, Marine Biotechnology, amongst others.
– This Hub shall also carry out the following activities–
(a) Identify and seek out potential collaborators for the mandate of this Hub to attract potential and harness expertise available nationwide, thus fostering research innovation, world-class technology and product development.
(b) To identify budding entrepreneurs and venture capitalists who have/wish to set up firms in the technology vertical of Technologies for Underwater Exploration and to provide support to them.
(c) To seek out new products that have a respectable market, and communicate the same to other wings to consider for research/analysis & design/manufacture.
(d) To enhance competencies, capacity building and training to nurture innovation and start-ups.
(e) To provide funding assistance for start-ups.
(f) To create linkages with existing Technology Business Incubators (TBI) or create new TBI in Host Institute.
(g) To connect Indian Research with global efforts, participate in international projects and receive grants for the same.
– As research on Technologies for Underwater Exploration requires knowledge of various fields like computer science, electronics, electrical, mechanical, civil engineering, etc. - here interdisciplinary approach is needed to understand the subject. The foremost problem here is the transfer of knowledge and creation of awareness about subjects, technologies, state-of-the-art and emerging topics to person(s) not traditionally associated with such disciplines. The interdisciplinary nature of Underwater Exploration renders it challenging to educate persons on specific and emerging topics even for those who may be experts in the conceptual theory associated with one aspect of it. Within underwater exploration education, there can exist a barrier in presenting coherent activities due to the disjoint nature of the concepts related to the subject(s) in a given discipline as compared to subject(s) associated with other disciplines, software platforms, and hardware devices. Educators may not possess advanced skills in all these areas simultaneously, thus reducing their ability to effectively perform an adequate transfer of knowledge to others working in related fields (or even to students).
The objective of this activity shall be to generate mechanisms for the transfer of knowledge about the various fields of research activity in underwater exploration to person(s) who may not be traditionally associated with such a field. This may apply not just to professional researchers but also to students who wish to apply for (or are part of) advanced degrees (M.Tech/MS or Ph.D.) in Underwater Exploration Technologies. The following activities shall be conducted by this Hub.
(a) Identify all areas of work related to Underwater Exploration.
(b) Contact other members of the TIH (or even professionals who may not be associated with the TIH) working in specific areas of Underwater Exploration to acquire details of the theory, state of the art and emerging technologies.
(c) Prepare information sheets, posters to disseminate the acquired information for those who may not be specialists in the field.
(d) Hold periodically, seminars, symposiums, workshops, short term courses and conferences with oral and poster presentations wherein specialists from each area related to Underwater Exploration can present conceptual theory, state-of-the-art or emerging topics on the same.
(e) Hold contests on Underwater Exploration targeted towards students and Industrial engineers.
(f) Coordinate with specialists in the respective fields to create effective platforms by which Underwater Exploration education can be given.
– The development of the effective human resource is one of the key problems in the operation of any organization. One of the activities of this Hub shall be to generate mechanisms for the same.
|S.No.||Target Area||Set Targets||Achieved Targets|
|1st Yr||2nd Yr||3rd Yr||4th Yr||5th Yr||Total||1st Yr||2nd Yr||3rd Yr||4th Yr||5th Yr||Total|
|1.1||No of Technologies (IP, Licensing, Patents etc)||14||12||2||0||0||28||6||0||0||0||0||6|
|1.3||Publications, IPR and other Intellectual activities||10||15||25||25||25||100||2||0||0||0||0||2|
|1.4||Increase in CPS Research Base||20||20||20||20||5||85||5||0||0||0||0||5|
|2.1||Technology Business Incubator (TBI)||0||1||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.2||Start-ups & Spin-off companies||5||15||15||10||5||50||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.3||GCC - Grand Challenges & Competitions||0||1||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.4||Promotion and Acceleration of Young and Aspiring technology entrepreneurs (PRAYAS)||0||1||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.5||CPS-Entrepreneur In Residence (EIR)||10||10||10||10||10||50||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.6||Dedicated Innovation Accelerator (DIAL)||0||0||1||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.7||CPS-Seed Support System (CPS- SSS)||0||0||0||1||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.9||Social Entrepreneurship Program||1||1||1||1||1||5||1||0||0||0||0||1|
Human Resource Development
|3.2||Post Graduate Fellowships||10||10||10||10||10||50||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Total Set Targets||11970||Total Achieved Targets||67|